Add my banner to your blog, tell me, and I'll add yours!



Photobucket

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Anarcho-primitivism


Well then....

    I came across a very interesting school of Anarchist thought that reminds me somewhat of Fight Club believe it or not. Anarcho-primitivists wish to return to a time less civilized as it were. They wish to de-industrialize and get rid of big organizations. Basically, they say cast away all of your worldly possessions, quit depending on the grocery store and McDonald, and start depending on yourself for sustenance. There is some speculation that this has anything to do with Anarchism, so I am going to dissect this matter and share my opinion on it.

    Anarcho-primitivists point out that before us humans started farming and such, we traveled around in nomadic groups without hierarchy, thus being a form of Anarchy in that way. As much as i can figure out, they want to be hunter gatherers, and depend on very few, if any people to provide for their needs. I also learned that the hunting gathering stage of humans, was perhaps the most peaceful, and prosperous time we have had on this earth, and also the longest lasting. The hunter gatherers of past times spent most of their time playing games, conversing, and relaxing! We have obviously strayed away from all this because of two major things.
The human desire to learn, and simple greed. Civilization today is hell bent on figuring out everything about everything, and making or "earning" new shiny things to show off to our friends. Anarcho-primitivists view on science is an interesting one. They point out that modern scientists do not recognize any natural connections to things, such as emotion. They view everything as separate, and anything that cannot be reproduced or predicted, as unreal and unscientific. Anarcho-primitivists are against all forms of modern technology, but still use it. ( excuse me?) They claim that since society has destroyed all other forms of social networking, they must go with it in order to form new relationships. The reason they are against modern technology, is because it destroys the natural human experience, and because they think creators of modern technology have non neutral reasons for doing so.
 The most alluring and interesting thing about them to me, is the life goal they set for rewilding. Yes, you heard me correctly. Rewilding is the process of becoming "uncivilized". Through rewilding one becomes more in tune with their instincts, and is encourages to question everything about our current reality. One is to become able to sustain his or herself with native plants animals and geography. I find this a really cool thought to be honest, and would not be apposed to a little rewilding myself. I always wondered what it would be like to go back to when we weren't a society hiding behind locked doors. When we could sleep outside under the stars with out fellow man, without the fear of being mugged in our sleep. I want to experience a peace filled community that strives to understand and accept one another! And finally, I myself find Anarcho-primitivism, to be a legitimate form of Anarchy for this reason. Anarchy means no rulers. Anarcho-primitivists see material possessions and civilization as a form of rule. Apposing this, makes them a true school of Anarchy.

1 comment:

  1. wow. That was quite a mouthful. I see where you're coming from, but I have to say I still like my shiny possessions.

    Thanks for following my blog Brian. Yours looks pretty good too, from what I've seen so far.

    keep it up,
    Peter

    ReplyDelete